This One Block at a Time presentation is one of several presentations at the Great Lakes Sea Grant Network (GLSGN) Meeting's session on Enhancing Community Resilience and Equitable Adaptation Through Green Infrastructure. The meeting will be hosted by Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant September 18-21, 2023, in Evanston, Illinois.
Minnesota Sea Grant Resilience Extension Educator Madison Rodman, Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant Assistant Program Leader for Community Development and Sustainable Communities Extension Specialist Kara Salazar, and Pennsylvania Sea Grant Extension Leader Sara Stahlman will be presenting about the One Block at a Time project, September 19, 2023, at the Enhancing Community Resilience and Equitable Adaptation Through Green Infrastructure session.
Illinois-Indiana, Minnesota, Pennsylvania Sea Grant programs partnered to address the community impacts of flooding and extreme weather events through equitable and inclusive stormwater management planning and green infrastructure implementation. Efforts focus on improving resilience, one block at a time, with paired projects in four marginalized communities of Michigan City and Hammond, Indiana, Duluth, Minnesota, and Erie, Pennsylvania. The Sea Grant program partners developed mirrored community engagement processes tailored to their specific neighborhoods, ultimately leading towards implementation of a ready for rain city block in each of the four communities. The presentation will highlight project outcomes and preview the community assessment and engagement toolkit applicable for communities across the nation.
- Registration to the 2023 Great Lakes Sea Grant Network Meeting is required to attend this event.
- Registration fee: $400 (Includes welcome reception, admission to sessions, breaks, a Tuesday evening social, box lunches on Wednesday and Thursday, a field trip, and a banquet).
- Companion registrations are available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Registration closes September 1, 2023.
- Madison Rodman, resilience extension educator, Minnesota Sea Grant.
- Kara Salazar, assistant program leader for community development and sustainable communities extension specialist, Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant.
- Sara Stahlman, extension leader, Pennsylvania Sea Grant.
- Questions about this presentation? Contact Madison Rodman, resilience extension educator, Minnesota Sea Grant.
- Questions about the 2023 Great Lakes Sea Grant Network Meeting? Contact Patrice Charlebois, assistant director for outreach, Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant.
Image credit: Waldemar Brandt/Unsplash