A core element of Minnesota Sea Grant's mission is translating and delivering scientific research to Minnesota citizens. We accomplish that goal through a diverse array of extension outreach projects in six core program areas.
Minnesota Sea Grant's current list of funded extension projects
- Increasing Environmental Literacy Through a Parent/Child. $18,500. USDI, NPS. Schrank. Ends 9/30/2023.
- Great Lakes Sea Grant Aquaculture Collaborative. $1,026,820. USDC/NOAA. Schrank. Ends 8/31/2024.
- Extending Impact of U.S. EPA's Great Lakes National Program Office Using Sea Grant Outreach Capacity. $216,196. EPA. Ends 8/31/2024.
- Karschnia. $130,758 received.
- Karschnia. $64,438 received.
- Thoms $21,000 received.
- Determining Market Potential for Food-Fish Aquaculture in Minnesota. $249,052. Ends 11/30/2023.
- Schrank. $92,237 received.
- Peterson. $156,815 received.
- Increasing Local Food Security: Best Practices and Cost Estimates for Rearing Yellow Perch in Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS). $134,879. NOAA. Schrank. Ends 8/31/2024.
- Increase Golden Shiner Production to Protect Aquatic Communities. $188,000. LCCMR. Schrank. Ends 6/30/2024.
- Development of Consumer Education Materials on Seafood and Aquaculture. $150,731. North Central Regional Aquaculture Center. Schrank. Ends 8/31/2024.
- Advancing the Great Lakes Aquaculture Collaborative. $425,000. USDC/NOAA. Schrank. $218,011 received. Ends 8/31/2024.
- Bugs Below Zero: Engaging Citizens in Winter Research. $198,000. LCCMR. Swenson, Ferrington, McKay, and Schrank. Ends 6/30/2025.
- Drowning Hotspots in the St. Louis River Estuary: Characterizing, Forecasting, and Risk Communication. $51,395. MN DNR/NOAA. Filstrup and Prihoda. Ends 11/30/2023.
- Tracing Atmospherically Deposited PFAS from Source to Sediment in the Great Lakes Region. USDI U.S. Geological Survey. $151,243. Peterson, Frie, Griffis, Sprague, Ulrich. Ends 12/18/2025.
National Sea Grant Office-funded, active projects by Minnesota Sea Grant staff.
- Partners in Education (PIE) FY 22-23 RA. $ 44,544. Schrank. Ends 1/31/2024.
- NOAA Rapid Response Funding II. Ends 1/31/2024.
- Recreational Survey. $33,540. Rodman.
- Charter Captain. $14,564. Schrank.
- SARS-COV-2. $1,896. Melvin.
- Watershed Game Education Program Project Phase II support from NOAA Regional Collaboration Teams. $30K. Bilotta. Ends 12/31/2023.
- One Block at a Time: community-driven planning and implementation of multibenefit green infrastructure in marginalized neighborhoods across the Great Lakes. $46,195. Rodman. Ends 1/31/2024.
- Supporting a sustainable aquaculture industry in Minnesota. $103,809. Schrank. Ends 1/31/2025.
- Code Audits & Community-Government Partnerships. $125,000. Rodman. Ends 1/31/2024.
- Amplifying Watershed Engagement in Coastal Communities. $15,000. Karschnia. Ends 5/31/2024.
- Water Resources Extension Educator. $49, 404. Schrank. Ends 7/31/2024.
- Minnesota Sea Grant Code Audits Phase II. $113,154. Rodman. Ends 7/31/2024.
Last updated: 8/30/2023.