What is the Sea Grant Great Lakes BioBlitz?
A free event that focuses on finding and identifying as many wild, living things as possible in the Canadian provinces and U.S. states that border the Great Lakes during a specified period of time.
When is the Sea Grant Great Lakes BioBlitz?
It begins on Saturday, April 22, 2023 (Earth Day), and runs for four weeks, ending on Saturday, May 20, 2023.
Who can participate in the Sea Grant Great Lakes BioBlitz?
Anyone is welcome to participate. You may participate as an individual, a family, a class, or other group!
How do I participate in the Sea Grant Great Lakes BioBlitz?
You can decide your level of participation. Take an afternoon to explore and document some plants or wildlife in your area, or pick a location to return to weekly, or set a goal to find something new everyday.
Joining is as easy as saying "One-two-three-CHEESE!"
- Visit www.inaturalist.org on your computer, or download the iNaturalist app from your app store onto your mobile device.
- Create a free account.
- Search "2023 Sea Grant Great Lakes BioBlitz."
- Select "join" to become a member of the 2023 Sea Grant Great Lakes BioBlitz project.
- Start making observations!
- To be a BioBlitz wizard, verify other participant's Great Lakes BioBlitz project postings.
Want to learn more about the Sea Grant Great Lakes BioBlitz?
Visit the Center for Great Lakes Literacy's Great Lakes BioBlitz webpage for more information about the project and educator resources for engaging youth in this experience.
This event is being co-hosted by:
Anne Moser, senior special librarian and education coordinator, Wisconsin Sea Grant.
Image credit: H. Cullen