- Limnology, aquatic ecology, biogeochemistry, fisheries, lake management and restoration, eutrophication, harmful algae blooms, groundwater, biodiversity, endangered species, carbon cycling, global role of lakes and streams
- Research, education and science policy
- Professor, Department of Biology and with Large Lakes Observatory (UMD)
- Immediate past chair, Council of Scientific Society Presidents
- Immediate past president, Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography
- Protecting Local Water Quality Has Global Benefits by John A. Downing and Steve Newbold. Environmental Defense Fund Economics Seminar. September 29, 2021.
- Viral Transport, Survival, and Transmission via Freshwater Ecosystems: Relevance to the Social Cost of Water Pollution by John A. Downing. Presented at the April 2021 Cornell Atkinson Center for Sustainability workshop on the Social Cost of Water Pollution.
- Ph.D. - Biology
- McGill University
- M.S. - Zoology
- North Dakota State University
- B.S. - Biology
- Hamline University
Earth's Eye: Director's Column
Water from lakes and streams can contain a lot of things that can make you sick. Making drinking water safe when camping, on the trail, or simply traveling, has become big business with many options. A safe solution is easier and cheaper than you might think. Minnesota Sea Grant’s April 2023 Director’s Column has information to help keep you safe and hydrated.
I wanted a tool to measure the thawing potential that weather exerts on lakes in spring so my friends, colleagues, and family could better plan for spring activities. So I made a fun widget called the Minnesota Lake Ice-In and Ice-Out Widget to help track thawing in spring.
The open water of Lake Superior (right) and the frozen water of the Duluth-Superior harbor (left). Image credit: M. Thoms
Plate ice, cracked ice, and refrozen plate ice on a Minnesota lake. Image credit: John A. Downing.
Image credit: Igor Pushkarev. All AdobeStock images in this story are protected by copyright.
Image credit: ©diyanadimitrova. Stock.adobe.com
Image credit: ©Mariana. stock.adobe.com
Image credit: M. Thoms
Image credit: ©besjunior. stock.adobe.com