Clean Sweep Workshop (1 of 2 workshop opportunities)
5/15/23, 8:00 am - 5/15/23, 1:00 pm
- This is an in-person event.
- Registration required.
- Register early. Limited spots available.
Rochester Public Works Department. 4001 West River Pkwy NW, Suite 100, Rochester, MN 55901.
Join Minnesota Sea Grant, the Water Resources Center, and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) for a spring street sweeping workshop. This opportunity is part of the Clean Sweep Program which aims to provide you with the tools, training, and resources you need to develop or enhance a street sweeping program for water quality.
This Clean Sweep Workshop will include:
- An overview of direct and indirect benefits of enhanced street sweeping that were instrumental in developing the MPCA's new phosphorus crediting calculator tool.
- New tools to help you build an effective street sweeping program for water quality including a decision tree and guidance for Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s), a reference table for estimating total solids and phosphorus, and tools to help prioritize street sweeping routes to maximize benefit.
- Information on the pros and cons of different street sweepers.
- Guidance from MPCA on when and how to test street sweeping materials.
- Discussion on options for reusing and disposing of street sweeping materials.
- An overview of the City of Rochester's enhanced street sweeping program and an equipment demonstration.
Maggie Karschnia, Minnesota Sea Grant and Water Resources Center stormwater extension educator.
Image credit: Maggie Karschnia/MNSG & WRC