Minnesota Sea Grant's Extension Educator Marte Kitson is leading a Great Lakes regionwide T-shirt design contest November 15, 2021, through March, 31, 2022.
Winning T-shirt designs will be selected April 15, 2022. The selected design will be featured on T-shirts that will be given to participants of the 2022 Research Vessel (R/V) Lake Guardian Educator Workshop.
There will be two separate Lake Guardian educator workshops in 2022. One workshop will be held on the Great Lake Superior and the other will be held on the Great Lake Huron.
Two separate Lake Guardian educator workshops on two different Great Lakes (Lake Superior and Lake Huron) means there could be a winning T-shirt design selected for each lake, as well as second- and third-place runner-up designs for each lake workshop.
First-, second-, and third-place designs may be selected for the Lake Superior educator workshop and the Lake Huron educator workshop and will be awarded a money prize.
- First-place designs will be awarded $100 and will be featured on the 2022 Research Vessel (R/V) Lake Guardian Educator Workshop T-shirts.
- Second-place designs we be awarded $50.
- Third-place designs will be awarded $25.
What are Lake Guardian educator workshops?
Lake Guardian educator workshops are once-in-a-lifetime experiences. These workshops provide opportunities for educators to participate in ongoing Great Lakes research and monitoring, to collaborate with scientists, to establish relationships with other teachers in the Great Lakes region, and to bring home Great Lakes educational resources to use with their learners.
Who should participate in this t-shirt design contest?
Any undergraduate student currently enrolled in a college or university in any of the Great Lakes states ( i.e., Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) who are majoring in or are interested in marketing, communications, graphic design, or another related field are encouraged to participate.
What does a previously designed Lake Guardian t-shirt look like?
See a previous t-shirt design.
- Add to your professional portfolio
- Winning designs will be featured on the 2022 Lake Guardian Educator Workshop T-shirt
- Money prizes will be awarded to selected first-, second-, and third-place designs for each lake
- Help teachers commemorate a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
- Runner up designs may be featured on the Minnesota Sea Grant website
- Learn about the Great Lakes
Designs must fit on the back of a T-shirt and measure approximately 12 inches wide by 8 inches tall. Up to two designs may be submitted. Submit a PDF of your design(s) via this submission form. Final designs must be shared in a vector file format, .eps or .ai is preferred.
Required for Lake Superior T-shirt design: If you are submitting a design(s) for the Lake Guardian educator workshop held on Lake Superior, then you must include the phrases “Lake Superior Workshop 2022,” “Shipboard science for educators,” and “R/V Lake Guardian.”
Required for Lake Huron T-shirt design: If you are submitting a design(s) for the Lake Guardian educator workshop held on Lake Huron, then you must include the phrases “Lake Huron Workshop 2022,” “Shipboard science for educators,” and “R/V Lake Guardian.”
Submission limits: You may submit one T-shirt design for each of the two workshops (Lake Superior and Lake Huron), or submit up to two T-shirt designs for one of the workshops (Lake Superior or Lake Huron).
Terms and conditions of design use
Design submissions to this contest must be your own. Design submissions should be unique to this contest and should not be repurposed designs from other/outside contests or competitions.
The Great Lakes Sea Grant Network and the Center for Great Lakes Literacy are authorized to use, reuse, reproduce, distribute, redistribute, modify, and/or change materials submitted for this contest.
Additional information to help inspire you and inform your design
- The theme of the 2022 Research Vessel (R/V) Lake Guardian Educator Workshop is "The Great Lakes support a broad diversity of life and ecosystems."
- Read more about the theme under Great Lake Literacy Principle 5.
- Get an educators’ perspective on previous Lake Guardian educator workshops on Lake Superior and Lake Huron. Note: Blogs on these pages feature multiple shipboard science workshops. Be sure to reference Lake Guardian blogs.
- Read about the Research Vessel (R/V) Lake Guardian.
- Read about Lake Superior and/or Lake Huron.
- See food web information about Lake Superior and/or Lake Huron.