Ask a Scientist
Thanks to the Blue Water Café of Grand Marais, MN, and the Amazing Grace Bakery and Café of Duluth, MN, for opening their doors to monthly dialogs about science.
About This Series
Inspired by the internationally successful Café Scientifique, each of our FREE coffee house talks featured a short presentation by an expert and allowed for discussion. Occasionally, we showed clips from the public television series, "NOVA scienceNOW," produced by WGBH-Boston, one of our “Ask a Scientist” backers.
Most of the science topics discussed had societal, political, or business ramifications for Lake Superior’s coastal waters and communities. Others were simply too interesting or timely to keep mum about.
Here's what we talked about from April 2007 - May 2008:
- Secrets of Science Communication
- Cores, Caves, and Climate Predictions
- Did a Comet Crack the Earth?
- How to Die of Old Age
- Lake Superior Research Priorities
- How Not to Make a Lake
- "Recent" Geology in Lake Superior
- What's in Those Ships? (Duluth Only)
- Shipwrecks and Underwater Archeology
- Sewage Treatment and Water Quality
- What Cargo is in the Ships? (Grand Marais only)
- Getting A Good Night’s Sleep (Duluth only)
- Mystery of the Missing Smelt
- Lake Superior’s Warming Trend